Hayim Association for children with cancer in Israel has been active since 1984. It strives to improve the quality of medical treatment given to the children, and their life style quality. Hayin Association aspires to a better future in which all children will recover from cancer.
About 3,000 children in Israel fight cancer, and every year an additional 400 children join the circle. The purpose of the association is to care for and promote the well-being of the children. The association supports the children in their long and brave journey of life!
Hayim Association is active in all the medical centers in Israel and has become an integral part of the oncology department. The association is unique in its way of identifying the needs of children and families, and in creating suitable projects for these needs such as having a “social supporter” (a coordinator) in each oncology department.
Hayim Association was established by parents of pediatric cancer patients who understood firsthand the illness and the toll it takes on patients and family members. The association helps the children and families in a variety of ways.
Promoting Quality of Medical Care and Treatment
Over the years, Hayim Association has become a pioneer in improving the quality of medical treatment given to the children. Hayim Association has played a major role in the medical and social breakthroughs, by:
- Funding medical research, developing sophisticated methods of improved diagnoses, and laying out an optimal treatment plan in order to increase recovery rates.
- Supporting the “Israel Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology” (ISPHO), in order to collect medical information on children with cancer in Israel.
- Increasing the knowledge of the medical team by funding educational conferences in Israel with the participation of experts in the field.
- Establishing professional psycho-social forums to compare the treatment provided in Israeli hospitals.
- Purchasing the most advanced medical equipment for diagnosing cancer and treating it.
- Funding positions in the oncology department: Doctors, nurses, psychologists, social workers, lab personnel and health professionals.
Caring for the Well-being of the Children and their Supporting Surroundings
Fighting cancer entails pain, uncertain future, and social isolation which impact to the children’s quality of life. Worldwide research shows a direct connection between the medical condition of a patient and his emotional state. Hayim Association recognizes the challenge, and helps to improve the children’s quality of life by:
- Assisting in transportation services – for receiving treatments at the hospital.
- Providing care givers for families in need and extra help around the house or at the hospital.
Many families encounter financial crisis as a result of unpredicted expenses. Hayim Association provides financial aid to the families, such as:
- Organizing day trips for the children and their family members.
- Providing play rooms, class rooms, and personal tutoring in the hospitals.
- Accompanying the children during treatment.
Hayim Association is a member of the International Confederation of Childhood Cancer Parent Organizations (ICCCPO). The trusties of the association are among the top business leaders in Israel.
The association is run by a volunteer board and a volunteer CEO. All members of the association are volunteers as well, and the association treats all children regardless of creed, race or gender.